Keep Your Pet Away From These Household Poisons


March is Pet Poison Prevention Month, and we have some tips to keep your pet safe as they roam through your home. Did you know – in 2017, the ASPCA handled more than 199,000 phone calls concerning potential poisonings. Don’t allow your pet to stick her nose into anything that will force you to make the phone call. We have a list of household items that are poisonous to your pet, and some may surprise you! If you do find yourself in an emergency situation, we’re here to help! During our regular business hours, American Animal Hospital’s medical staff and resources are available to help you with any emergency your pet experiences. Our veterinary hospital is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 7:00 pm, and Saturdays 8 am-2 pm. If possible, please call (973)895-4999 in advance so we can prepare for your pet’s arrival.

Common pet poisons

Follow this A-to-Z list from Vetstreet to ensure your pet keeps her nose out of these most common pet poisons. Bonus points if you memorize the whole list!

  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
  • Batteries
  • Chocolate
  • Detergents
  • Ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
  • Fertilizers
  • Grapes
  • Household cleaners
  • Insecticides
  • Jimson weed
  • Kerosene
  • Lilies
  • Mothballs
  • Nonprescription medications
  • Onions
  • Prescription medications
  • Queensland nuts (macadamia nuts)
  • Rodenticides
  • Sago palms
  • Tobacco
  • Unbaked bread dough containing yeast
  • Veterinary prescriptions
  • Windshield wiper fluid
  • Xylitol (a sugar substitute)
  • Yard products, such as mulch and weed killers
  • Zinc, found in pennies and metal

Still worried there are dangerous items in your home? There’s an app for that. Check out the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center app, which allows you to have access to information covering more than 300 potential hazards, right at your fingertips. The app even has chocolate and rodenticide toxicity calculators, in-depth details regarding toxins, and a step-by-step list of the actions necessary during an emergency.

If you feel that your pet may have ingested something dangerous, here are some of the most common signs of toxicity you may notice:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Weakness or collapse
  • Pale or yellow gums
  • Decreased appetite
  • Changes in thirst or urination
  • Bloody stool or urine
  • Nosebleeds

If your pet experiences an emergency outside of our normal business hours, we recommend the following emergency hospital: AERA (973) 370-9143 Located at 1237 Bloomfield Ave, Fairfield, NJ 07004